Have you noticed there’s a new phenomenon upon us?
Welcome my friend, we will be discussing this today as we sip our cuppa’s, munch our treats & look at the beautiful view above.
Don’t you just want to dip your toes in that water!
I’m having a chai tea with some little Date & Almond protein balls. What are you having?
Now we’re comfy let’s begin…
Are you feeling a little off kilter lately?
I’ve noticed many are feeling a little off kilter.
Have you noticed the same?
Maybe I need to explain what I mean, I’ll put my professional cap on & we’ll have a little look!
I’ve observed many people around the globe experiencing a feeling of being out of balance.
And while we all just want to get back to ‘normal’ moving forward from the last few years.
After having CoVid restrictions, lockdowns, border closures & the never ending variants.
We really need to acknowledge it had an enormous emotional impact upon us.
Thus many are experiencing the effects of traumatization from the last few years.
In other words we have become;
A traumatized global village!
Are you experiencing…
In fact, I had some conversations recently with professionals working within their communities which confirmed my observations.
And the latest research also seems to be supporting this;
“….the general population may be suffering from various levels of vicarious traumatization, although strictly speaking this would not qualify for PTSD’s Criterion A for trauma exposure.” Refer II
I’m not suggesting the general population is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) here but rather differing levels of emotional traumatization.
These professionals had observed some or all of the following behaviours in either themselves or in others as I have done. You may see yourself here;
- Many have retreated into their homes & aren’t as social as preCoVid times. Because we all had to hunker down in our sanctuaries for so long. A behavioural modification of retreating into the safe place has happened…
- Or alternatively you may feel the constant need to ‘escape’ & go on a break but the refreshment from that break doesn’t last very long.
- You may find news broadcasts overwhelming & anxiety inducing.
- You may find the sound of your phone ringing anxiety inducing.
- You may either find it difficult to plan for the future or do so very, very tentatively in case your plans are cancelled again… An over vigilance has resulted.
- You may find when you go to social events, your energy levels deplete quicker than pre CoVid times. Your emotional capacity for socialisation has lessened.
This is not an exhaustive list but gives you some of the behaviours that traumatization can induce.
These are the result of long term stress & traumatization.
And we have all been under enormous stress since 2019 when CoVid hit this world on the back of devastating Fire Storms, Floods & Famines.
CoVid also brought with it it’s own individual economic, familial & social challenges.
So what can we do about this traumatization you may ask?
This type of long term trauma & stress will take time to recover from my friend.
A good way to begin the process of recovery & yes it’s a process is by practicing the following strategies in The Art of Quietness*
If you’re feeling anxious all the time or feel you’re not coping with life. Please seek a Mental Health Care Professional in your own locality as soon as possible.*
Until next time,
You’re most welcome to join me in The Reading Nook
© 2022, Jennifer M. Ross, teawithjennifer.blog All Rights Reserved. Photo by Asad Photo Maldives on Pexels.com
*Disclaimer: The author of this site does not claim to provide any type of individualized Mental Health Care for any individual through this site. This is to be done face to face in consultation with a registered (certified) mental health care professional in your own locality.